Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Beautiful Details

Sometimes it's nice to do a plain and simple card but the details we add to cards make them unique and the receiver will notice those extra special touches and know that you cared enough to add them. If you were to take Altenew Academy's Beautiful Details class you would learn lots of ways to add your own one-of-a-kind touches.



Altenew's Peony Bouquet stamp set has become one of my favorite sets and the floral images come out so beautiful by stamping the layers as they are intended, but I wanted to add a little extra shading and details for this card. This card needed a special background to set the peony images off so I started with a piece of vellum cardstock.

After treating the vellum with an anti-static pad I stamped two images from Altenew's Golden Garden stamp set with Versamark ink and used clear embossing powder. I have to admit I colored with several different markers and pencils to get these images to look how I wanted them to. It's true that my coloring always looks worse before it gets better and I learned to stick with it from this course!

I used a combination of Altenew's Artist markers in warm gray shades (WG01, WG03, WG05, and WG07), Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils in Warm Gray II and Warm Gray V, and a Tombow marker color N79 to color the vellum leaves and flower.


I stamped the leaf outlines from Altenew's Peony Bouquet with Distress Ink in Frayed Burlap and blended over it with Altenew's Artist markers in the warm gray colors above. I cut them out with the matching dies.

For the peony blooms I stamped the three layers with Altenew's Crisp Dye ink in Warm Sunshine, Orange Cream, and Autumn Blaze. To add more detail I used Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils in Pompeian Red and Middle Cadmium Red.


After adhering the vellum piece to a white card base I added an orange cardstock strip with a stitched edge along the fold edge. For a base for the flowers I cut a piece of white cardstock with a stitched square die, trimmed off a corner and mounted it with foam to the card with the cut edge along the fold. I glued down the leaves and the smaller bloom to the stitched square and added the larger bloom with foam.

The sentiment is stamped with Versafine Onyx Black ink and is from Altenew's Heartfelt Sentiments stamp set. For a final touch I added pearls in soft peach from Little Things from Lucy's Cards. Thanks for looking and I hope you found some inspiration to add some little details to your special cards.

4 comments:

Hopeandcards.com said...

I love the colors on this, I did a similar color skew just the other day on one of mine! Absolutely love this one!

Hopeandcards.com said...

What die did you use for the small x's on the peachy orange cardstock? I really like that small but impactful detail :)

Liz Navickas said...

It was a set of border dies from Lawn Fawn.

Erum Tasneem said...

Wow. Look at that beautiful colour! I love those soft details on vellum. I get you totally, anything on vellum takes time, esp colouring and you even forget how much time or supplies you have spent on achieving a watermark look! Splendid job!
Thank you for entering your work to the AECP assignment gallery.