Sunday, April 19, 2020

Coloring on Kraft 3 Ways

Again, I had this image from Avery Elle ("Blooming" w/matching dies) embossed in gold on kraft and black cardstock and I thought I'd color them three different ways. 

The black cardstock was colored with Faber-Castell polychromos pencils and then to give it a cloisonne look I added Glossy Accents over the images. If you go over the image first with the white pencil the colors will show up even on black cardstock. This also works on kraft, but I am still "cleaning up" and had only one in black already done.

The top-right was an experiment to see if I could color on kraft cardstock with alcohol markers, and even though they tend to "bleed" more on this paper because of it's tooth they did pretty well. I think you need to select colors carefully, and it might help to test on a scrap of the same cardstock. Also, I found that on this cardstock the alcohol inks changed intensity after they dried, but they dry very quickly. And since it was embossed first, the embossing helps to keep the "bleed" contained pretty well.

Did you know that Distress Oxides can be painted on to blend, rather than always blending with a tool? The bottom card shows how you can use a paint brush to paint in the images to get a more vibrant look with the inks. If you add water, of course they will oxidize as intended, so it is better to use them straight if you want to get the colors as bright as this. Thanks for looking and if you have questions or need to know specific colors, leave a comment and I will respond. 

No comments: