Friday, April 24, 2020

Copy Cat?!

Today I received a text with a picture of a printed postcard from one of my stamping ladies who asked, "Is this something we (meaning me) can do?" Here's the printed postcard she sent:
The only way I know of to get those bright vibrant colors and blending like that is with alcohol inks. So, I pulled out the alcohol inks and a bunch of felt pads for the applicator and started to work from the bottom up, overlapping the colors slightly. If the colors did not look "blotchy" enough I used a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and dotted here and there to give it the look I was going for.Here's the background I got on Yupo paper:
I think I could have left off the Indigo ink which was very dark and just gone with the turquoise after the Purple Twilight. Well, now how to get the lettering on. I knew it had to be die cut from another background done the same as this and reverse it, but I needed it to be large enough to span all the colors. (Should have thought to make it smaller in the first place, but I didn't!! My Yupo paper is 5' x 7")So, I made another piece to "match" the first as best as I could and used Pinkfresh Studio's Coordinating Cuts alphabet set to cut out "THANK." Couldn't fit the "S," so I used the sentiments "A HUGE," and a "YOU" from Concord & 9th's "Say Hello" stamp set. I embossed them in white on black cardstock and added foam tape the back of them. Note: I think these dies and stamps are not available anymore, but using what I have! There are similar ones that you could use.Since the piece was so big, I decided to make a full-size card, but needed to add something on the edges, even after framing the piece on black cardstock. So, I think this is a Simon Says Stamp background stamp and I mixed Distress inks to stamp it to match the colors on the main piece. Here's the finished card, so how did I do?

No comments: