Monday, May 11, 2020

Excess of Backgrounds!!

If you stamp, you usually make backgrounds... you know, those sheets of "experimental" blends of color that you spend a whole day doing because it's so much fun to drop ink or watercolors onto paper and watch it move around?! Well, I've created a whole bunch of them in the past and this month as "social distancing" has become the norm, I decided to "clean" my stamp room.

I hauled out an abundance of backgrounds I've made over the past year and decided that I was not going to make new ones until these were used up. First I sorted and decided that I didn't need to do Christmas ones right now, so those got moved to another plastic "shoe box" to deal with later. 

What I had left was a half box of backgrounds that I really didn't know what to do with at the time I made them but I've been "forcing" myself to deal with them now.  

I found that there were several watercolor or color burst backgrounds that I could die cut greetings out of and then I embossed them with about 3 coats of clear embossing powder and it gave them dimension as well as an "enamel" look. Here's a few photos and hopefully you can see the words:


The top two were watercolor backgrounds that I "fixed" with a stencil and some Distress Oxide inks and then I embossed an image in white over the background. The left-most card shows a "hello" that was cut from a background of Distress Oxide ink on watercolor paper (mostly pink) and embossed with 3 layers of clear embossing powder.
On the top blue card, the watercolor background was "fixed" by using Distress Oxides over the stencil and embossing the stamped image in white again. To make the "hello" match the blues used on the background I used Salty Ocean Distress Oxide ink blended on a piece of scrap cardstock and used 3 layers of clear embossing powder over it. 
The bottom-most card was a "new" background as I had a stencil with all the ink from the blue card already on it that I spritzed with water and pressed onto a plain white piece of cardstock. 

The following shaker cards were done with alcohol ink backgrounds on Yupo paper and the words were cut from either watercolored or color burst backgrounds and embossed with clear embossing powder. I find that using this method gives dimension and shine without having to "cut and stack" several layers of lettering. 

 
Thanks for looking and I hope you give this a try!

No comments: