Thursday, May 28, 2020

Painted Poppies

Moving right along with Lesson 5 of the Layering class. This was a valuable class as I've always struggled with lining up thin "stem" stamps, especially when they are photopolymer stamps. Usually I just color the stamps in with a marker as they are usually so difficult to place the "fill" color stamp over them but with the instructor's help with this it was easy!

Our homework was to create a "clean and simple" card with the Painted Poppy stamp set from
Altenew. I have to say, I really love this set and in its simplicity it is a beautiful set.Of course, I made two cards, one "simple" as directed and since we so recently celebrated Memorial Day, and remember the poppies of "Flanders Field," I had to do red poppies. My garden has the orange ones, so I had to do coral colored ones, too!

Here's the cards and I'll explain below how I made them:
The outline of the red poppies were stamped with Versafine black pigment ink. The reds were Stampin' Up's Poppy Parade and Cherry Cobbler ink and the greens were Altenew's Bamboo and Olive. The verse for both cards is from Altenew's Sentiment Strips 2 set. I white heat embossed it on black cardstock and used foam to pop it up of the card. I affixed the white panel to a piece of black cardstock.


Then I used a black gel pen to add dots to the center of the poppies to look like poppy seeds:


For the coral-colored poppies the outlines were stamped with Versamark ink and embossed with silver embossing powder and filled with Cameo Coral and Calypso Coral ink. The verse is stamped with Versafine black pigment ink.


Without the leaves to clutter the design it is very simple and the layering is very easy to do. The panel was affixed with foam to lift it off the card base. I hope you like these and thanks for looking!

 

1 comment:

TeresaQ said...

I love your red poppies mounted on black cardstock, it's perfect Liz.