Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Whimsical Flowers

The Whimsical Flowers stamp set from Altenew is not only fun to layer, but also fun to color. First, since this was a Layering lesson, I used the layers to fill in the floral images. This is an easy set to layer as the images are bold without too many tiny details. The outline images can be embossed and colored or just stamped and colored, which gives this set versatility.


First I stamped the outline images on masking paper and cut them out as I planned to make a central bunch of flowers. Then I stamped the solid fills with Midnight Violet, Deep Iris, and Lavender Fields Crisp dye inks. The flower center were stamped with Mango Melody ink and the leaves with Bamboo Crisp dye ink. The small dots in the set were used to add several dots around the bouquet with Bamboo and Olive Crisp dye ink. Finally I added a little Wink of Stella over the leaves and flowers.

I embossed the sentiment from Sentiment Strips 2 in white on black cardstock and added foam tape to the back. I affixed the card front to a piece of mango cardstock.

It's sunny today and very difficult to take photos, and hopefully the shine will show on this photo:

  
Also, I thought these flowers would work well in watercolor, so I stamped them and embossed them on the smooth side of watercolor paper. When doing this, it's important to emboss one flower/leaf at a time and then mask before doing the next one so the masks don't pull off the embossing powder. 

I used Altenew's 24 pan set of watercolors, which I was anxious to try. Remember, I'm not an artist with watercolors, so this was my first attempt. I think I need more practice! After I painted in the images, I masked the flowers and thinned down the Coffee Bean and Fall Harvest paints and spattered the whole piece. I white embossed "Thanks," from the Enchanted Iris set on black cardstock and affixed the piece onto a green cardstock panel. Thanks for looking!



No comments: